Engagement will make this marriage a little happier.
Talking about engagement, or what getting married to knowledge looks and feels like.
Today, I decided to talk to the Grade 8s about engagement. I wanted a concrete example of what it looks like, so I showed a student created movie trailer on the The Outsiders and got them to think about:
- What do you notice about yourself when you are engaged in learning?
- What is going on in your brain?
- What are you thinking?
- What does your body feel like when you are engaged?
After, we talked about it and created this list:
- Asking and answering questions
- Recognizing what I already know
- Trying to figure things out
- Putting myself into the situation
- Sitting quietly
- Not talking off topic
- Not distracted
Hopefully, we can use this shared language to work towards greater engagement with learning activities – and the reason. When you engage, you learn. A perfect marriage.